Royal Welsh Museum

royal welsh museum brecon

The Royal Welsh are Wales’ current infantry regiment, formed in 2006. The Regiment has numerous antecedents: The 24th Regiment of Foot, The South Wales Borderers, The Welch Regiment, The Royal Regiment of Wales and the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. The histories of these regiments, particularly the 24th/South Wales Borderers, is preserved in the Royal Welsh Regimental Museum in Brecon. Opened in 1935, the Museum holds objects and archives from four centuries: 5000+ medals, Victoria Crosses, an extensive weapon collection and an Anglo-Zulu War display with the surviving Union Flag from the defence of Rorke’s Drift. The historic building is located next to the Headquarters of 160th (Wales) Brigade, a barracks complex that was originally built in 1805 to house the arms and ammunition of the Brecknock Militia.

The Regimental Museum in Brecon tells this story in greater detail, opened in 1935 it is recognised as one of finest regimental museums in Britain. Why not pay the museum a visit, or include it in your itinerary for a walking holiday in the Brecon Beacons. For more information go to the museum website.